Background Image

Continuance & Readmission

In this Section

Related links:

Policy on Academic Standing

Satisfactory Academic Progress for Readmitted Students (Financial Aid)

Graduate Students

Graduate students requesting continuance, readmission, or to return from a leave of absence must send an email to the appropriate School.

  • For the School of Arts & Sciences, or the School of Engineering, contact Carmen Camp at 
  • For the School of Business, contact Tanya Conto at 
  • For the Institute for a Sustainable Environment, contact Carmen Camp at 

Undergraduate Students

All students who have left Clarkson University for any reason must complete the appropriate process for return. All decisions made by Clarkson's Continuance and Readmission Committee are final; there is no appeal process.

Continuance following academic separation: Any student who has been placed on academic separation immediately following the current semester, and who wishes to return to Clarkson must request continuance by submitting a Request for Continuance form. This form is available in PeopleSoft, and instructions can be found here. See deadline information below.

Readmission: Former students who have been away from Clarkson for at least one semester and didn’t leave due to academic separation must request readmission by submitting a Request for Readmission form.  Former students who have been away from Clarkson for at least one semester following an academic separation must request readmission by submitting a Request for Readmission Following Separation form. If students are readmitted, a $300 deposit will be due immediately to confirm the student's intention to enroll. See deadline information below.

Readmission after a Leave of Absence: Former students who have been away from Clarkson on a Leave of Absence for at least one semester must request readmission by submitting a Request to Return from a Leave of Absence form. See deadline information below.

All cases of undergraduate continuance1 and readmission require concurrent approval of the department chair or program director and of the University's Continuance and Readmission Committee. In cases of a return from an official leave of absence, such approval is assumed but needs to be verified. However, returning to Clarkson will not be allowed if a student is delinquent on a Clarkson loan or has an outstanding tuition balance.

Undergraduate students wishing to apply for readmission should send the appropriate completed form to Student Administrative Services. For the fastest response, email your form to from your official Clarkson email address. Or you may also mail your form and any supporting documentation to:

Clarkson's Continuance and Readmission Committee
Student Administrative Services
PO Box 5575
Potsdam, NY 13699-5575

Deadlines for requesting Continuance and Readmission 
1. Continuance: All Continuance requests must be made by the deadline outlined in the separation email sent by the Registrar to the student. Once the deadline has passed, the process is closed, and Continuance will not be possible. 

2. Readmission: Readmission requests must be received one month before the beginning of the semester the student wishes to return and any supporting documents 2 weeks prior to the first day of class. If approval is granted, this also allows time for financial aid paperwork to be completed and processed and a schedule to be created.

If you have further questions or need more information, please contact Student Administrative Services in Graham Hall, or call 315-268-6451.

1 Students who are placed on academic separation at the end of their first semester (First-Year and Transfer students) at Clarkson and wish to return will be continued by the University’s Continuance and Readmission Committee for the next semester as long as there are no intervening circumstances to warrant a denial and the Request for Continuance form is submitted and complete.

Main Entrance